When you connect SiteSeer to WordPress, you can automatically make updates on your site, without touching any code or a WordPress editor. You’ll need to create a special application password and install our custom plugin, which you can find explained below.
SiteSeer is compatible with the following SEO plugins:
You’ll need to have one of these plugins installed and active for SiteSeer to work.
To enter your information on the SiteSeer dashboard, you’ll need three things:
1. API URL:
SiteSeer will attempt to autofill this for you. Typically, the API URL is
/wp-json at the directory where you have WordPress installed. So a typical API URL might look like this –
2. Username or email: Here, you’ll need to provide your email address or WordPress username (or you can create a new user.) It’s important to note that the user needs at least Administrator user permissions.
3. Application Password: You can create an Application Password for SiteSeer in your WordPress Admin panel.
- Navigate to “Users” and select the username you entered in step 2 above.
- Scroll down until you find “Application Passwords”
- Enter a name for your new Application Password, e.g., “SiteSeer”
- Click “Add New Application Password”
- Copy and paste the new password into SiteSeer. The password will only appear once. If you lose it, you’ll need to generate a new one (and in which case you should revoke the old one.)
Note Some security/firewall plugins (like Wordfence) will hide Application passwords. If you don't see it in the UI, you might need to enable it within your security plugin first.
4. WordPress SEO REST API Now you can install our custom WordPress SEO Rest API from the dashboard.
The SEO API plugin adds common SEO fields to the built-in WordPress REST API. This allows authenticated apps (like SiteSeer) to make SEO changes to your pages/posts on your behalf.
Manually installing the plugin:
If for whatever reason, SiteSeer is unable to install the plugin, you can manually install the plugin from your WordPress Dashboard by following these steps.
1. Navigate to your plugins
2. Hit “Add New”
3. Search for “SiteSeer SEO Rest API”
4. Install and activate the plugin
At this point, SiteSeer will validate your settings and you can hit “Save.”
Note: if your site uses certain caching solutions (e.g., Cloudflare, specific WordPress plugins, or hosting configurations), it may take time for your SiteSeer optimizations to appear live.